Re: [Evolution] evolution 3.18.5.1 race condition

On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 11:07 +0100, roelof 't Hooft wrote:
The message at the bottom of the screen is "filtering folder INBOX"
The time it takes from program start to this race condition is
not predictable.

        Hi,
"thanks for a bug report", your description is awesome, I hope more
people would give such detailed information in their reports. I do not
recall seeing any similar issue in the recent past, maybe it would
worth to file a bug report in https://bugzilla.gnome.org for it.

There is one thing missing, though. What do your message filters do?

I'd like to ask you to install a debug info package for the evolution-
data-server (only for that one is enough), make sure the version of the
debuginfo will match the version of the binary package. Then, once the
filters get insane again, capture a backtrace of the running Evolution
in this state and share it. The command is:

   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt

Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only). The backtrace should show where the
filtering got stuck/busy-loop.

Something else that is anoying :
"error while filtering folder INBOX/Trash"
It does not tell me in which account the error is.

Could you make it a bug report, please? Just it doesn't get forgotten.
It's pretty simple, more or less, to fix it, but the current code is
under a string freeze, thus the change would be done only for the
3.22.x, missing the upcoming 3.20.0 release. The new message would look
like "Error while Filtering folder 'xxx' in account 'yyy'.", eventually
the "Filtering folder 'xxx'" would be change to not have only the
folder full name as the "xxx", but also the account name. The
disadvantage of the later is that the string might get too long for the
status bar.
        Bye,
        Milan