Re: [Evolution] What is the format for rules in filters.xml? How can I alter or creat rules?

I also created folder names for the new folders needed, by
finding the existing folder names and creating new ones with
strings replaced as needed for the new folder names.

No, that's the wrong way round.  The folders you talk about are created
BY evolution - they have specific UUID names that are used throughout
evolution for various things.  What needs to happen is that the folder
names in the filter XML file MUST match the ones created by evolution.

You must also remember that these files are, essentially, private to
evolution.  They aren't meant to be fiddled with and altered by the
user and do so will, in all likelihood, result in instabilities.

I made no attempt with absolutely no filter rules.  That too
might be worth a try.

Yes, it's an absolute must.  Doing so will tell you if there is an
issue with Evolution itself dealing with the file, or if the problem is
with the file itself.  I suspect the latter.

P.