Re: [Evolution] All folders have disappeared

On Mon, 2016-06-13 at 16:29 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I invariably do updates while logged in and using stuff. I then
decide what needs to be restarted, or if I have to log out, or the
system needs to be rebooted. On Fedora there's a useful utility
called tracer that helps decide this (it checks if any virtual memory
pages belong to processes whose package was updated after the process
started).

Ditto me (Ubuntu / Debian).  The updater tells you when you need to
reboot the system but I don't know exactly how it makes that
determination (whether it's based solely on the list of packages or
something more sophisticated).

I do know that Debian/Ubuntu will restart daemons etc. whenever you
update libraries that they use, like libc etc., so a reboot is often
not necessary.

I often defer rebooting for many days after an upgrade even when I've
been told it's necessary... for me reboot is big deal since I have so
much context while I'm hacking.  I've never had any issues with
corruption etc.  However if I see something wonky I attribute it to
that and will mentally bump the priority of a reboot :).