Re: [Evolution] Google's blockage of Evolution with Gmail, and Web Presence of Evolution

On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 15:00 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 12:34 -0500, Nick Pontillo wrote:
Hey all, there are two things I'd like to propose/bring to attention.
First of all, Google is blocking Evolution from working with Gmail
due to this: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Nope,  setup the account in GOA.  Strong authentication works.  But you
need to be on a version of GOA/Evolution where that works - but I
believe it has been awhile.

So my question is, would it be feasible for Evolution to start using
0auth2, so that it is no longer blocked by Google? I believe
Thunderbird already does this by the way,

I believe Evolution - or more appropriately GNOME - already does this.

And this brings me to the other thing I want to talk about, which is
that in order to give feedback about this I had to sign up for this
mailing list and send out an email.

Yes.

I think there is a good opportunity
for Evolution to improve its user-friendliness by having a forum on
the web of some sort.

No!  All forums do is provide somewhere for questions to go to die.
 Mail lists have been around pretty much forever and are conveniently
push-oriented.   AND is is a FEATURE NOT A BUG that is adds a wee tiny
bit of effort on behalf of the one seeking ***FREE*** assistance.  This
is Open Source.

*Forums are better than IRC and mailing lists because people don't
have to sign up to look at them*,

You do not need to sign up to search the list archives either.
 Messages from the Evolution list(s) are fully indexes and show up in
search engine results.

This does not even require any money, hardware, or investment from
Gnome. All it would take is for someone to make a subreddit called
"/r/evolutionmail" and then link to that subreddit in the Evolution
manual, gnome wiki page, and setup wizard. Maybe advertise it a bit
on Linux blogs/forums on the same day it's created.

And it would be completely ignored by all those experienced with the
application and in a position to offer the desired information.  Check
out 99.44% of all reddit feeds and you will find no-responses or
completely wrong horrible advice - and then people will blame
Evolution.  Talk about alienation - nothing is worse that the kind of
'tech support' I see people receive via the openSUSE Facebook account.

Sorry folks, I had no idea about the online accounts settings in Gnome
and I think that explains everything with 0auth2. Also you've convinced
me of the superiority of mailing lists. My only request now would be
that the setup wizard tell the user about the online accounts in the
Gnome settings, as I didn't know about it and I think if I had done that
first then everything would have been totally smooth.