Re: [Evolution] Evolution 3.10 Frozen

On Tue, 2016-02-16 at 11:24 -0800, pequod wrote:
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 2.8.6 64-bit

But you don't say what version Evolution you are using.

In Evolution Calendar, I removed (deleted) old appointments. All were
successful except for the last two which is when Evolution froze locking
the remaining two appointments. Forced reboot.

Having made a backup of Evolution, I tried to unsuccessfully reinstall.

Re-installing an application in Linux virtually never fixes anything.
Your package manager should have a function to check the integrity of
the files of an installed package: if the files are identical, there is
no need to re-install because nothing will change.  If they aren't
identical, then you have a bigger problem than Evolution crashing.

Switching to Tasks, I unsuccessfully tried to delete old tasks. Same
result as in Calendar.

Run evolution from the command line.  That way you might have a better
chance of seeing what the problem is.

Next I tried to Purge. No luck.

Went to Synaptic Program Manager and tried to uninstall and reinstall
Evolution. After reboot, called up Evolution. No change.

Tried again to uninstall. Success but when I tried to install the same
problems are shown both in Calendar and Tasks.

Because the problem most likely lies with your data files or the
configuration and those files are not touched when you remove the
package (because they aren't part of the package).

I've noticed other contributors are using 3.18. It's not listed in the
repositories I have.

I doubt it would make much difference in this case.

P.