Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: You have been unsubscribed from the evolution-list mailing list]

On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 17:20 +0100, Andrew Beverley wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
Correction, there are a couple of outliers (one from outlook.com) but I'm inclined to think those are genuine bounces, e.g. mailbox full or user unknown. Trouble is we don't have access to the actual bounce message so it's basically guesswork.
It's a nightmare, as the DMARC record on Yahoo email addresses can cause any other member's email address to bounce (and be removed). The DMARC record tells receivers to reject the email if not received directly from Yahoo. So someone yahoo com sends an email to the list, the list forwards to other outlook com, other outlook com rejects as it's not directly from yahoo.com. other outlook com then clocks up a bounce failure within the list software. The only solution is for the list software to be altered to rewrite the from address of DMARC domains, or for people with DMARC domains (e.g. @yahoo.co.uk) to use a different email address to send to the list (e.g. Gmail) As someone has already said, DMARC was never envisaged for this sort of use (instead it's for @paypal.com etc), but it looks like it's here to stay (or at least until if/when ARC is implemented for email forwarding). Andy

It's my lack of understanding as to how all this works. I had simply assumed that when I sent a mail to the list, it just went to the list - and was 'from me'. Any mails then from the list back 'out' (ie to me and the other subscribers) I had assumed just came from the list (I thought that ALL Evolution list messages came from the list directly, not redirected and still using the subscribers EMail)  - so I couldn't see why Yahoo's DMARC policy then caused any issue (as it would only then be checking that list messages actually came from the list). But if I have got this right, you're saying that messages 'from the list' aren't necessarily marked as being from the list, so Yahoo bounces them - is that correct?
Are all list EMail redirected as if from the subscriber - as if so, I think I'm still lost as to how ANY mails then get through from the list to me - surely all mails from the list would fail the DMARC test?

Steve T