Re: [Evolution] evolution 3.10 not sending messages from one of my mail acounts

El vie, 18-09-2015 a las 06:50 +0200, Milan Crha escribió:
On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 09:15 +0200, Clara Cagigal Cobo wrote:
> I have tried Login to send messages but evolution gives an error
> "cannot send mail. Service not connected"

	Hi,
your evolution version is "slightly" old, the current stable is 3.16.5,
while 3.18.0 is just behind the corner (to be released the next
Monday). There could be such issues after account changes being made,
hence I'd suggest to change the authentication method to Login and then
close evolution and start it again.

Hmm, even, I tried again here with the to-be 3.18.0 version and the log
shows very odd things. I do not think evolution itself behaves oddly, I
can send messages with any other SMTP servers I've configured.
Nonetheless, the first attempt results in this entry:

    [SMTP] Connecting to server smtp.ono.com:25 from account     1442470729 2236 38 xxx
[SMTP] received: 220 smtp1.ono.com ESMTP Service ready
[SMTP] sending: EHLO xxx
[SMTP] received: 250-smtp1.ono.com
[SMTP] received: 250-DSN
[SMTP] received: 250-8BITMIME
[SMTP] received: 250-PIPELINING
[SMTP] received: 250-HELP
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH=LOGIN
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
[SMTP] received: 250-X-CP-DELIVER-AFTER
[SMTP] received: 250-DELIVERBY 300
[SMTP] received: 250 SIZE 26214400
[SMTP] sending: AUTH LOGIN
[SMTP] received: (null)

(evolution:3369): camel-WARNING **: CamelSmtpTransport::authenticate_sync() reported failure without setting its GError

(evolution:3369): camel-WARNING **: EMailUISession::authenticate_sync() reported failure without setting its GError
[SMTP] Sending with server smtp.ono.com:25 from account 1442470729 2236 38 xxx

That "[SMTP] received: (null)" is obviously wrong. It resulted into the
same error as for you, "service not connected" in UI. I changed the
type from LOGIN to PLAIN and it begun to behave sanely:

    [SMTP] Connecting to server smtp.ono.com:25 from account     1442470729 2236 38 xxx
[SMTP] received: 220 smtp1.ono.com ESMTP Service ready
[SMTP] sending: EHLO xxx
[SMTP] received: 250-smtp1.ono.com
[SMTP] received: 250-DSN
[SMTP] received: 250-8BITMIME
[SMTP] received: 250-PIPELINING
[SMTP] received: 250-HELP
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH=LOGIN
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
[SMTP] received: 250-X-CP-DELIVER-AFTER
[SMTP] received: 250-DELIVERBY 300
[SMTP] received: 250 SIZE 26214400
[SMTP] sending: AUTH PLAIN AHVzZXJAb25vLmNvbQB0ZXN0
[SMTP] received: 535 invalid user ID or password

Finally, I changed the method back to LOGIN, and that also begun to
work:

    [SMTP] Connecting to server smtp.ono.com:25 from account     1442470729 2236 38 xxx
[SMTP] received: 220 smtp1.ono.com ESMTP Service ready
[SMTP] sending: EHLO xxx
[SMTP] received: 250-smtp1.ono.com
[SMTP] received: 250-DSN
[SMTP] received: 250-8BITMIME
[SMTP] received: 250-PIPELINING
[SMTP] received: 250-HELP
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH=LOGIN
[SMTP] received: 250-AUTH LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
[SMTP] received: 250-X-CP-DELIVER-AFTER
[SMTP] received: 250-DELIVERBY 300
[SMTP] received: 250 SIZE 26214400
[SMTP] sending: AUTH LOGIN
[SMTP] received: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
[SMTP] sending: dXNlckBvbm8uY29t
[SMTP] received: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
[SMTP] sending: dGVzdA==
[SMTP] received: 535 invalid user ID or password

I did not restart evolution between the changes (though I've more
recent version than you have). The thing is that I tried the same steps
before I wrote the previous email in this thread, the only difference
was that I begun with a PLAIN authentication type, not with LOGIN.

I think the server does something very odd the first time evolution
tries to connect to it, nonetheless the evolution should be able to
work with it too (it depends on the actual issue being involved here,
which requires more detailed investigation).

	Bye,
	Milan

P.S.: If you'll ever think of sending similar logs, omit those hexa-
encoded values, they contain user name and password, which are not a
problem on my side, because I do not have a real account with the ono
server.
Hello Milan, thanks for your interest and help,

I have tried as you have made with my evolution 3.10 , first with login, closing evolution, starting, sending a message ( service not connected), changin to plain (there is not error but message is not sent), changin to login again, sending a message (service no connected)¿¿??. In any case I dont't see in seahorse the password for sending messages.

How could I obtain the debug information:
"[SMTP] received: 220 smtp1.ono.com ESMTP Service ready
[SMTP] sending: EHLO xxx
[SMTP] received: 250-smtp1.ono.com
[SMTP] received: 250-DSN
[SMTP] received: 250-8BITMIME
[SMTP] received: 250-PIPELINING
[SMTP] received: 250-HELP "

as you have obtained?."
I would like to continue using evolution 3.10 since it is the proper one in
ubuntu 14.04, upgrading to 3.12 or superior would requiere the use of ppas which
could break my system.

Regards

Clara