[Evolution] Frustrated!

Hi. I have tried Evolution, several versions. I know the older versions won't sync my google contacts. Google has changed something, and it's all gone to pot.

I had an idea -- export my contacts and import them into Evolution. But no matter which version of Evolution I try, the import just fails. I have a vcard file with about 1600 contacts. I start the import, and it just stops and dies.

Can someone advise me as to how I can get the contacts into Evolution? I've tried both vcard and csv, but both fail.

Thanks.