Re: [Evolution] Backing up Evolution Data

Il giorno mer, 09/09/2015 alle 23.58 +0200, Ángel González ha scritto:
Evolution uses different folders for different types of content,
following the XDG Base Specification, which is actually a good thing.

Yes, i agree, this is a good thing.

From this info:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en
I understand want to copy this folder:

Then the folder to restore from backup are this two:

~/.local/share/evolution
~/.config/evolution

That's true, although it's a problem of dconf, not something specific
to evolution.

You can export only evolution-related data with:

dconf  dump /org/gnome/evolution/
dconf  dump /org/gnome/evolution-data-server/

Good! this is a useful info, thanks!
From now, before a backup I dump the evo's dconf setting into a text
file for restore it

Question: It's possible extract with dconf (or gsettings) the
evolution's data directly from the backup folders, for example from
/mnt/bk/home/user/.config/dconf/ if I do not have dump it before? How
to?

Zan wrote:
One single .application directory like Firefox uses in .mozilla and
Thunderbird in .thunderbird is far more manageable and useful.

Actually, Firefox no longer does this. It now uses:

~/.mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/
~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/

Which is a perfect example of why the XDG spec split the folders in
this way, instead of saying "put everything about the program into
~/.apps/<programname>".

It makes no sense to include in a firefox backup hundreds of MB that
are just downloaded web pages and won't be of any use if restored
later. Excluding ~/.cache you can easily exclude from a backup the
unneeded data from all (conformant) programs.

Ok, I agree, I newer restore ~/.cache/mozilla/ but only
 ~/.mozilla/firefox/

Many thanks

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 22 con Gnome 3.16)