Re: [Evolution] Saving Email Messages to Disk Automatically

So I'm having some trouble saving email message to disk. If I move
them to the "On this Computer" folder they appear in the .local folder
as text documents but otherwise I cannot access them on disk as far as
I can find.

It is unwise to play around with things in Evolution's private data
store - you can cause confusion and data corruption for the program.
And they aren't "text documents", it's a Maildir formatted mail store.

 I'm trying to construct a process that saves the emails to disk
automatically so I can run a program on them at intervals and save the
data into a PostgreSQL database. Is there anyway to automatically move
the emails from my email address to the computer or a simpler avenue
to do what I want?

Couple of possibilities - really depends on what format you want the
mail in:

1. Use a filter to pipe the mail to a program as it's received.

2. Create a mail store on disk somewhere (either mbox or Maildir
depending on how you want to process it), create a new mail account in
Evo pointing to that mail store and then copy incoming mail into that
mail store using a filter.

A word of warning with filters and programs - the filter will wait until
the external program terminates before continuing, so if the program
takes a long time to do any processing, then Evo will also take a long
time to process any incoming mail.

P.

--
Pete Biggs                              pete.biggs @ chem.ox.ac.uk

 Chemistry IT Support queries to help itsupport chem ox ac uk