[Evolution] Control K, line-length and recovering from keystroke errors.

The following refers to evolution 3.16.0 running under Ubuntu 15.04.

I am having difficulty getting evolution to behave with respect to line-length on new messages with "Normal" format.  If I just keep typing the line will run off the screen even though even though number of characters is set for 55.

If I use Control K, I get:

I am having difficulty getting evolution to behave
with respect to line-length on new messages with
"Normal" format.  If I just keep typing the line will
run off the screen even though even though number of
characters is set for 55.

Furthermore, if you fingers misbehave, you can wind up with what is shown below (copied in part from a sent message).  No matter what I have done, I cannot get rid of the grey bar and the grey font.  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

John

Hello XXXXX:

Please review the attached.