[Evolution] Configuration problem -- perhaps some instructions would help

Perhaps I am oversimplifying things, but it appears that the developers of Evolution are working far ahead of those who compile the program for use with various Linux distributions.  It also appears that if it were not for the efforts of Fabian Tassin, I would be stuck using a very outdated version of Evolution.  Right now, I am using 3.16.0 (Ubuntu 15.04) when I should be (if I have interpreted the postings on this list correctly) using 3.16.3.  I would be more than happy to try configuring (compiling?), if I had some step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Thank you,

John