Re: [Evolution] Evolution unusable after update from 3.8 to 3.18

On Fri, 2015-12-11 at 11:49 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
What sort of account are you talking about?  POP, IMAP, EWS,
Gmail, ...
Personal IMAP setup with dovecot.

I use dovecot as well - I don't have 6000 folders, but I have a
couple
of hundred, most of them unsubscribed, and I don't see any problems.

I reduced the number of folders to 450 and it still takes a while to
start, but I am able to read mails after a while.
While reducing the account to 450 folders I removed all dovecot cache
files as well.

With another old instance of evolution (RHEL6) I checked and only
index.log files are generated for subscribed boxes.
With 3.18 all folders, even the unsusbcribed ones get a index.log. This
means evolution scans them all.

I did a CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx and started evolution.
An this shows for example
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "spam-2015-01.bz2"
* STATUS "spam-2015-01.bz2" (MESSAGES 58 UIDNEXT 384 UIDVALIDITY
1423546869 UNSEEN 56 HIGHESTMODSEQ 2)
This is an existing but unsubscribed folder.
Since I started it showed up several times in the log, so evolution
scans for unsubscribed folders repeatedly.

Scanning > 6000 folders like this makes evolution unusable, at least
with a "normal sized" mail server.

Anyone outside with a good idea why this change to scan unsubscribed
folders was necessary and useful?

I presume you have ticked Edit -> Preferences -> (account) -> Edit ->
Receiving Options -> Show only subscribed folders

What about "synchronize remote mail locally in all folders" on the
same page?
Everything unchecked except "Show only subscribed folders"

If your server is getting overloaded, it might be wise to reduce the
number of concurrent connections as well.
No significant change.

Regards,
Oliver
--
Oliver Paukstadt <pstadt sourcentral org>