Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Gmail not playing

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 19:56 +1000, Alex McConnell wrote:
I have updated Evolution to 3.16.0 from the ppa to see if that helps
but the behaviour seems to be unchanged.

It seems to me that some process is going into a loop or perhaps
there is some library that reaches its maximum number of threads and
dies.

Grateful for any suggestions.  At the moment just nursing it along
to see if something in Ubuntu 15.10 fixes it.

        Hi,
I'd suggest to install debuginfo packages for evolution-data-server
and evolution, I'm not sure from the above whether you stayed on
3.16.0 or reverted back to whatever versions the Ubuntu 15.10 offers
(both evolution-data-server and evolution versions matter - you should
keep them in sync). With the debuginfo packages installed just
reproduce the issue and get the backtrace of the evolution in the
stall state. You can get the backtrace with this command:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

That will show what the evolution does. Maybe it'll show that it is
waiting for a response from the Google server. It'll be good to run
evolution from the console and watch the output there, as it can
sometimes show interesting/related stuff there.

With respect of the concurrent connections, it's only IMAPx in the
Evolution which offers this setting. The POP3 accounts are connected
and disconnected on demand (they connect, do the update and
disconnect). The GMail has a limit for connecting to it. It used to be
lower in the past, but it seems like being around 15 connections these
days (according to one bug reporter's testing). The thing is that some
connection(s) uses IMAPx, some Contacts, some Calendars and eventually
also Tasks - all being done from one machine and different evolution
processes.
        Bye,
        Milan