Re: [Evolution] Need explanation of Evolution 3.10.4 error message on free memory

On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 21:49 -0400, John Lauterbach wrote:
What does the following error message mean?
    Sorry, the program "evolution" closed unexpectedly.

Your distribution must enable some type of crash handler

Your computer does not have enough free memory to automatically
analyze the problem and send a report to the developers.

This error message may not mean anything at all.  I assume this mean it
failed in generating a core dump and a back-trace report - but that can
fail for innumerable reasons.

I get this error with an e-mail that has a high amount of embedded
graphics in it.  Computer is DELL Vostro 3500 with 8 GB RAM.

I doubt the meaning is direct.  I'd assume some bug is hit when trying
to render this specific message.  Possibly not even a bug in Evolution
but in popplar or an image handling library.  If you can run "evolution"
from a terminal window and open the `bad` message you may see something
much more informative in the output to the terminal window.

Copy of ad is attached.

The add opens immediately and without issue for me.  But you've printed
it to PDF, it isn't the original message.  If you save the original
message to an eml/mbox file that will be more helpful.

Is there a work-around

Depends.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383