Re: [Evolution] Errors receiving mail via POP

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 10:22 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
On 9/3/2014 5:45 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
I've never heard of a problem of IMAP duplicating emails and, knowing
how the protocol works, I can't see how it can!

The protocol won't, but servers and clients will.

I've had Thunderbird (old version, now fixed) time out while copying
large numbers of email messages from one folder to another. This
resulted in copies of the message in both folders, because it didn't
delete the messages until the copy was complete.

I've also had the server lose delete flags on abnormal client shutdown,
which means that messages copied to another folder get resurrected,
resulting in two. And when the filter runs again on next client startup,
more copies are created.

So yeah, IMAP can make copies happen.

No, IMAP can't - there's nothing in the protocol specification that
would lead to a duplication of emails.  The implementation of the
protocol is a different matter - in fact the problems you mention are
totally protocol independent.  Bad things can happen when using IMAP but
they aren't necessarily IMAP's fault.

P.