Re: [Evolution] Errors receiving mail via POP

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 13:28 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
Why do people still use POP [...]?

Because of the issues I experienced when using IMAP, such as receiving
the messages two times. I never run into such evil issues when using
POP. Once there are multiple copies of hundreds of emails in your
private email archive, you can't get rid of those.

POP was always much more prone to duplicating emails because of the way
the message IDs are used in POP.  It's why all the dedup
plugins/programs/protocols were created.

I've never heard of a problem of IMAP duplicating emails and, knowing
how the protocol works, I can't see how it can!  The view you see in
your mailbox is what is on the server, so something else must be
duplicating the mails. You may have seen a problem when using an IMAP
server, but it's not an IMAP protocol issue per se.

P.