Re: [Evolution] Errors receiving mail via POP

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 15:32 -0600, Bart wrote:
So download it to your own computer using fetchmail or offline IMAP
mode
(or just dragging it between folders). IMAP doesn't force you to
leave
it on a server. There is no feature of POP which IMAP does not also
have.

Why perform an additional step?  POP does that for me.

IMAP does it for you as well if you configure it to do that. There is
*no disadvantage* in functionality from using IMAP and considerable
advantage in flexibility. The only reason to not use POP is if your
service doesn't provide it.

I know it passes through other systems, but I have some messages
that
reside for long periods of time in various email folders for
various
reasons.  And, I feel a lot more secure doing so.

If I lose my phone, or my iPad, or my laptop, I don't need to
worry
about my email accounts.

If you lose a device and the device is not properly secured then
your
account is at risk whether it's IMAP or POP. Clearly in the IMAP
case
you are also trusting the server admin to take proper care of your
stored mail, but you don't have to leave it there if you don't want
(see above).

Not if the accounts don't exist on the portable device.  My email goes
to my desktop.  My phone has one IMAP account that doesn't exist on my
desktop.

So you don't trust portable devices and have decided not to access
certain email accounts on them. That has nothing to do with POP vs IMAP.

I have tried using IMAP and frankly see no advantage at all.  I only
see problems.

I'm not sure if you mean problems with IMAP in general, or with Evo's
implementation of it.

If you mean IMAP in general: you may not care about keeping things in
folders on the server, or being able to access them from anywhere using
multiple independent clients (including not having to back up and
restore mail every time you get a new computer), or only downloading
attachments if you actually want to look at them. If that's the case
then POP is fine. I do care about those things, which is why I use IMAP
almost exclusively (one account is with a provider that doesn't support
it so it has to be POP).

If you mean Evo's implementation: all the more reason not to divert
scarce developer resources away from fixing any problems with IMAP.

poc