Re: [Evolution] Restoring data to new HDD

Hi there,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, Milan Crha wrote:

On Thu, 2014-10-23 at 14:30 +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
Unfortunately the version of Evolution currently in Wheezy is more or
less useless.  I can't for the life of me understand why it's in
there.
could you be "a bit more" specific, please?

Messages get lost, as far as the user is concerned, because they are
not sorted correctly at least in the inbox display.  That's the main
reason that I can think of off the top of my head, but there were many
issues with large mailbox stores.  In this particular case there would
be many mbox files accessed over a gigabit LAN from a local mailserver
which runs Sendmail and Dovecot IMAPS server.  Any one mbox file might
contain several gigabytes of mail.  Individual mail messages would be
up to 30 Megabytes - typically several attachments containing a number
of engineering drawing files.  The main problem would be getting any
response from Evolution while it perpetually rambled around the user's
directories trying to update files which had not changed.  The users
would see a bunch of tabs open at the bottom of the Evolution window
and Evolution would effectively freeze.  No such problems with any
other mail client that I tried but Thunderbird/Icedove is the one the
users are most familiar with, so those are what they use now.  Most of
the users access mail from Linux boxes now running Icedove, but a few
use Windows boxes running Thunderbird.  One of the main reasons for
switching away from Thunderbird/Icedove in the first place was a very
long-standing issue with configuration of the client to operate with a
local IMAPS server.  The configuration user interface was brain-dead,
and it was only possible to get the correct configuration options by
exploiting what appeared to be a bug in that interface.  But recent
releases of Thunderbird seem to have finally fixed that.

Also, could you remind me about which version of evolution you are
exactly talking?

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/evolution

P.S.: By the way, your messages are breaking threading, probably a
mail client bug?

No bug.  I'm on the digest list.  (And I use Alpine. :)

--

73,
Ged.