[Evolution] Restoring data to new HDD

Greetings,

I am having to change HDDs and with that from Solydx testing to Solydx
stable.  Testing has Evol. 3.12.6 and stable has Evol. 3.4.4.   The
testing OS will become the stable OS sometime early next year hopefully
with 3.12.6 but I don't know for sure.

I believe they will not restore backwards in versions.  I have a tar.gz
with 3.12.7 but I have never successfully installed one.  Can this be
done on this Debian system or do I have to wait for next year?

I have both OSs going right now so email is still working and I have
time to ponder this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,   Don