Re: [Evolution] Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 09:37 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

To me that implies that you use TLS on port 993 - whereas port 993 is
supposedly for IMAPS.  Indeed whenever I change the encryption method to
STARTTLS, Evo automatically changes the port to 143 (port 143 is NOT
open on that server).  I can obviously change the port back to 993, but
my question is, does Evo honour that port number?  Whenever I go back to
the config page, the port number has been reset to 143 if I specify
STARTTLS.

        Hi,
yes, evolution honors the port, but it also tries to be smart, thus if
you change the authentication method (from SSL/STARTTLS/None) to any
other and the port itself is one of the well known, then Evolution
also switches the port to the well known for the new authentication
method. Using a completely different port will not change the port on
its own.

If I try to create a new mail account with an address a me com, and
let the settings look-up finish, then the revised options conform to
those on the knowledge base URL you gave, with one exception. The IMAP
authentication method looks garbled. When I returned back to that tab
the value shown there was nothing (an empty string), while it should
read PLAIN. I think it also tried to use LOGIN method (the one set for
SMTP), but this is not available for IMAP, thus a no value shown in
the UI. I changed the authentication type to some other than PLAIN for
IMAP, and then "back" to PLAIN. If I click "Check for supported types"
then the PLAIN is the only available anyway.

I do not have a real account there, but I would also try to change the
authentication type to the PLAIN, and to be sure to change it to
another value and then back to the PLAIN. Then close & start evolution.

If everything fails, then you can even try to debug this. Just disable
all the other IMAP accounts and run evolution from a terminal as:
   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution
and see what is written there. This debug mode writes the raw
communication between the server and the client. To get even more
chatty debugging information run evolution as:
   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution

        Bye,
        Milan