Re: [Evolution] Migrate data from 2.28,3 to 3.10.4

On Sun, 2014-10-05 at 18:05 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> While the issue of IMAP v. POP has been widely commented, I have not
> seen comments in the thread about the Linux Mint update procedure
> outlined here:

This is an Evolution list, not a Mint one, and we try to be as distro
agnostic as possible.  Personally, I do not have experience of any
Debian based distro (i.e. Debian, Ubunutu, Mint, etc.) so, without that
knowledge, all I can say is to "make a backup of your home directory" -
it's up to the user to know, or find out, how to do that on their
distro.  There's only so much we can do!

> The process involves making an backup of the home directory (for which
> Mint provides a tool), which would include the Evo data. I would
> follow the Evo backup procedure to try to restore later. However, the
> Mint update procedure should be sufficient to assure that there is a
> separate copy of all data.

To be honest you would be better off using the Evo backup as a back-stop
and actually migrate the data using the new version of Evo running on
the restored copy of the home directory.

Not sure to whom this is addressed? It appears to be a response to a post of which I don't have - or maybe haven't retained - a copy.
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
No need to reply :)