Re: [Evolution] Opening links in Firefox

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Gnome 3.12.2, Evolution 3.12.8, Firefox
33.1.1.

Firefox is set as the default web browser in Firefox itself and in the
Gnome settings for browser.

You're also correct about Firefox opening. If I were to click on the
link at the bottom of any message in this list which would normally open
the link in workspace #2 where I have Firefox already running it would
instead open Firefox in workspace #1 where I have Evolution running. It
would also open to my 'homepage' instead of the link that is clicked on.

It sounds as though when you installed a different version of firefox it
installed some different config files. First, as someone else said, use
xdg-open to see how Gnome handles URLs - it should behave correctly,
although I suspect it will just open a new window with your home page.

The way of calling firefox is determined by the 'firefox.desktop' config
file.  That should be in

   /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

That file should contains a line "Exec=firefox %u" - the %u will be
replaced by the URL.  However, I suspect that when you installed firefox
the installation installed an equivalent file in

   ~/.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop
or
   /usr/local/share/applications/firefox.desktop

check in both those places and examine the content of any
firefox.desktop file you find to make sure the Exec line is as above.
There should be no harm in renaming any firefox.desktop file you find
in /usr/local/ or ~/.local so it isn't picked up - doing so will,
hopefully, re-instate the behaviour of firefox.

P.