Re: [Evolution] Evolution performance

On Thu, 2014-05-29 at 10:13 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Thu, 2014-05-29 at 10:31 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
Hi is it possible that the disk is heavily fragmented or developing
some bad blocks which forces it to try to read the same location
several times until it succeeds? Worth making a disk check.
Fragmentation shouldn't be an issue, when using a Linux or BSD file
system.

It is rare for fragmentation to happen to the extend it is a problem -
especially with file-systems that support extents, etc...  I generally
assume that if fragmentation is causing a performance issue then the
host is probably starved for memory or the I/O subsystem is broken in
some way [causing responsiveness issues, which shouldn't really happen
except with pretty had hardware... aka, most cheap laptops].

But the easiest way to defrag a filesystem is to backup, wipe, and
restore [tar /home, rm -fR /home/*, untar].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383