Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Signature or Script at the Insertion Point

On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 00:18 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
I'm perplexed.  Putting the sig at the end of a top posting will cause
everything after the posting itself to be cut from the reply; it will
remove the message to which I'm replying.

So don't top post.

In other words, it will do
only too good a job of keeping messages short.  When I type in a sig by
hand to a top post, I put it after my (top) post, rather than at the end
of the whole message;

So if you've finished your message by adding a signature, why then put
in a load of superfluous text after it?  If the quoted messages are
important, then put them in the text, if they aren't don't include them.

Different mailing lists have different customs.  In almost all technical
mailing lists the custom is bottom posting, or (as here) middle posting,
with comments after the relevant section.  In many general mailing
lists, in particular my own neighborhood list, the invariable custom is
top posting.  Here the custom is new material, then signature, then
selected quotes from from old material.

In general: Top posting: good; Bottom posting: good; Mixing top and
bottom posting: bad.

I might say, as an aside, that some mail composers that I've used can
outsource the composition editor to an external editor.  MH (now
hopelessly obsolete) did this, which was a feature I liked.  Ckeditor,
among others, could support this function in Evolution.

Edit -> Plugins -> External Editor -> Configuration

Thanks much, I hadn't been aware of this.
--
All the best - jon

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.