Re: [Evolution] Request advice on how to work around total failure of Evolution

On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 09:49 +0000, e-mail shaky.start wrote:
I find myself in a quasi-Catch-22 situation: I moved from Ubuntu 12.04
to Mint 16 Xfce yesterday, having made sure my Evolution client was
fully backed up under Ubuntu. Evolution under Mint 16 Xfce 32 bit
doesn't work at all - it crashes upon the first keystroke or mouse
action after being started.

Bug Report #129437 has been submitted along with stack trace data.

An alternative to going backward is to go forward.  For the last 2+
years or so, for some unfathomable reason, Ubuntu (and hence Mint) has
decided they should always ship Evolution from one release back (that
is, if they ship Gnome 3.10 then instead of Evolution 3.10 they'll still
ship Evolution 3.8.

This started (IIRC) with Ubuntu 12.04 where they felt that the Evolution
that was available in that release was not stable enough for an LTS
release, but it's continued the same way since then.

However, there is a PPA that will allow you to use a newer version of
Evolution, which may help.  I should point out that THIS version is
actually a prerelease of the next version... but it works OK for me.

Follow directions here:

https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3-staging

or for newer stuff, here:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-evolution-3-11-1-on-ubuntu-13-10-saucy-salamander-and-linux-mint-16-petra-via-ppa/