Re: [Evolution] Subscribed folders?

I use an email server in my department.  On the server, in my home
directory, there is a Directory called Mail and within Mail are a bunch
of subdirectories.

Is your mail in mbox files (i.e. all mail for a folder in a single file)
or Maildir format (mail in individual files held in a directory)

On evolution, I have an account for the server and if I right click on
that, there is an item Manage Subscriptions.  If I choose that there are
boxes next to the various items in the Mail directory which presumably I
can manage to subscribe to or not.  But they appear in that account in
evolution whether or not I have subscribed to them.

Edit -> Preferences -> <Select account> -> Edit -> Receiving Options and
then tick "Show only subscribed folders"

 One, in particular,
called from shows (50901), indicating a large number of unread messages.
If I click on from I see lots of messages with all fields blank except
Date which has a ? in it.

That sounds like the mail is corrupt or there's an error in the
formatting within the file on the server.

  If I go to the server, I can read from and it
has lots of messages in it.

When you say "go to the server" what do you mean?  How do you read it?
If you are using a Unix system what does 'file' reckon the format is?

Is there some way I can prevent from from appearing in evolution?
Presumably, if I move it out of Mail on the server, that would do the
job, but that might mess up my mail some way or other.  What is the
function of from?

There's no specific function.

As poc said, it is generally accepted these days that you keep mail
folders away from users as much as possible - because if they are part
of a user's filestore, then they inevitably feel that it is OK to fiddle
with them, edit them, etc. and that causes havoc unless you really know
what you are doing.  One I often had problems with was people editing
mbox files on a PC via an smb mount - some IMAP servers got really,
really confused by the DOS line terminator and interpreted the CR+LF as
two line breaks and produced some odd results.

P.