Re: [Evolution] I/O operation timing out

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 17:37 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 22:22 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Update: I had pretty much decided the problem (getting I/O timeout with
> > Send/Receive on Evolution--doesn't seem to affect sending new email) lay
> > in my Motorola 5101 modem from TimeWarner. It may still lie there but I
> > just noticed this: My wife is out of town for a week. She uses a Mac and
> > Mac's Mail, which is on all the time. With her gone, I haven't had any
> > problems with my Evolution mail failing to connect ("Error while
> > fetching mail from .... Could not connect to .... I/O operation timed
> > out"). So I pulled out an old MacBook and sure enough, as soon as I
> > turned on Mail, I started getting the timeout problems again. Turn off
> > Mail and Evolution mail works fine.
>
> That'll be interesting to sort out!
>
> Are you (both) on wired or wireless connections?
The apple--both my wife's and the one I'm testing today--are on
wireless. The Fedora 19 box is mostly on wireless, but the problem seems
to exist also when I switch to an Ethernet connection.

> Are you both using the same server / account for mail?
>
> To be honest it sounds like something is wrong with your NAT
> router/firewall in that the packets are being sent to the wrong host -
> it could be configuration or it could just be a bug, but it certainly
> seems like packets are going astray.
Using a brand new Netgear RangeMax N150 WPN 824N wireless router. I
ditched my old one because I thought it might be the problem.

> > Interestingly this does not happen on this computer at work, in a small
> > office where the boss uses Mac and Mac Mail all the time--even when he
> > was using earlier versions of Mac.
>
> It's probably because your office doesn't use a NAT'd network - or that
> the NAT router works properly.

Yes--we're Nat'd there too.