Re: [Evolution] Mail List Sorting Issue

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
> Would it be possible also the following scenario:
> - Clicking the sender column will automatically select date as the 2nd
> level sort. The 2nd level sort will be according to its last state (ie
> either recent to old or old to recent), or if this is too complicated, can
> be just from recent to old.

Message internal date or received date?
Received date.

> I know your new function can do the above already, this is just to avoid a
> key press since sorting by "sender name" and then by "date" is something I
> use very frequently in Outlook (I know many of my colleagues also use it
> when trying to quickly find a mail from a given person).

Not sure about the correct semantics here. What if the user has already
sorted by Subject and then wants to sort by sender? Under your proposal,
the Subject sorting could easily be lost. To avoid that, Evo would need
to remember which sort fields had already been selected by the user, and
in which order (all of this per folder of course). Sounds rather complex
but I haven't thought through all the implications.

Well, this is how Outlook works, so one could look from it if you have in hand somewhere :)

For my use case, I nearly never sort by Subject. So this function shall only work when the mailing list current sort is "received date" and if the user clicks "sender" column. Result will be: mails are sorted by sender with decending or ascending 2nd level sort. So you will see, from each sender, mails from recent ones towards old ones.

In outlook, what we did is, you sort your list by "received date" for daily work. If you need to find any mail from a person,
1) you click sender with mouse, Outlook sorts by sender, then by ascending or descenting received date depending on the original received date sort
2) you then click the 1st letter of sender's surname and Outlook jumps to the first message from this sender.
3) Consequent clicks to the same sender surname 1st letter will move one by one on the messages from the sender.
4) if there are multiple sender names starting with same letter, then pressing a 2nd letter would move you to that sender.

For example, if you have a sender with surname Eric and Emre, first click to E will move to Emre, second click will move to Eric.

After step 1, you don't need to move your hand to mouse..

PS. If this is a good idea, I can check exactly how it works in Outlook.

--
Emre