Re: [Evolution] Mail List Sorting Issue

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 22:32 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> I expect the sorting to be 1st based on surname then 2nd within the
> same surname to be sorted by date. In my Evolution 3.11.90 compiled
> with jhbuild (webkit-composer master branch, rebased 13 days ago), 2nd
> level sorting by date is not working. MEssages are shown in mixed
> order.

        Hi,
I just committed a change [1] for 3.11.91+ which makes it slightly
easier to pile columns for sorting directly from the view, instead of
visiting the subdialog with customize of sorting options.

Basically, the commit lets you hold a Ctrl key, which will, instead of
clearing the whole sorting and adding the only column you click the
header on, add the column into the sorting as the first sort criterion.
If you hold also a Shift key (together with the Ctrl), then the column
is added as the last sorting criterion. Clicking on a column header
which is already used for sorting doesn't change the behaviour, the sort
order is simply flipped, regardless Ctrl/Shift keys being pressed or
not.

Hi Milan, thanks a lot for this. I'll re-compile master probably during weekend and then let you know how it goes.

Would it be possible also the following scenario:
- Clicking the sender column will automatically select date as the 2nd level sort. The 2nd level sort will be according to its last state (ie either recent to old or old to recent), or if this is too complicated, can be just from recent to old.

I know your new function can do the above already, this is just to avoid a key press since sorting by "sender name" and then by "date" is something I use very frequently in Outlook (I know many of my colleagues also use it when trying to quickly find a mail from a given person).

--
Emre