Re: [Evolution] black window areas

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 09:42 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

I am having the exact same problem on Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 x64 running Gnome
3.10.2. Evolution has the same black areas as OP is asking about. It's the
only application with this problem. It doesn't matter which theme I use,
there's always these black areas around the mail preview window and when you
open mail in a separate window.  This problem is not present in Gnome 3.8.4.
I have spent a lot of time trying to find out what the problem is, but I
keep getting the same answer: "something is wrong with your there". I'm not
sure all themes can have the exact same problem with one particular app. The
problem must be elsewhere. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It's a GTK problem.  There were links to the solution and bug reports
further up in the thread. Basically you need to make sure that GTK is
version 3.4.4 or later, for some reason Ubuntu ships an old version of
GTK, so grouch at them.

Changing the theme often helps because not all of them tickle that
particular GTK issue.

Thank you for clarifying. Maybe I am missing something but I am on
Ubuntu 13.10 with Gnome 3.10 and libgtk-3-0 at version 3.10.7. Also, on
Gnome 3.8 I did not have the problem. I will look at the thread again. I
have tried all the different themes I can find and they all have the
same problem on Gnome 3.10. Maybe the bug in gtk pre 3.4 is back? :)

P.