Re: [Evolution] How to Detach Attachments?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Adam Tauno Williams [via Gnome Evolution - General] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 10:29 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 18:42 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> > Would there be a way to "detach" attachments, like save first and then
> > delete.
> Not that I am aware of, except for the described two steps.
> >  Optionally, a link can replace the removed attachment or the text
> > file replacing the attachment can contain the location.
> What if the location is changed by the user?

+1 I am *very* skeptical of `link` scenarios.  My experience is that
this falls apart and creates inconsistent behavior rather quickly.

Well, I've been using this for years in Windows Outlook and I did not face any issues. Worst case could be that I archive a mail and as well as the disk location if a project (or subject) becomes too old, or rarely I may do a re-shuffling of my files in a project but then I'm aware that I've changed something. The link at least gives me a piece of info that the removed attachment notice doesn't give: where it was saved before. Knowing where it was saved before will then help me find its new location easily without making another step to search. Searching is anyway always possible.

So by adding a link or a pointer to the saved location inside the text, you lose nothing, but gain an info which will be useful in 90% of the cases (in my cases at least).

Anyway this link aspect is not the main subject of the request, it's a bonus. A detach function is priority to gain some seconds from my life and less strain on my fingers of saving extra mouse clicks  :)

PS. I don't use Evo for mailing lists or technical mails, I'm pure business user and I deal with ~150 mails from many different subjects everyday from many countries. My mailbox (and archives) can fill up very quickly if I don't do detaching/deleting attachments.

Br,
Emre

Sent from the Gnome Evolution - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.