Re: [Evolution] Evolution pinging IMAP gmail

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 11:57 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 12:51 +0100, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
Evo still ping to the server and sometimes it hangs for minutes.
I can't understand why, but that stop a lot of other activities (even
the retrieve of messages from a local imap server).

Not sure if this is relevant to your issue, but I rewrote the IMAP
"pinging" or keep-alive behavior for 3.12.

In 3.10 and all previous versions I've used, for some historical reason
lost to the ages, Evolution itself pinged the server based on a simple
timeout with no regard for other IMAP commands.

In 3.12, the IMAP backend itself will keep the connection alive either
by issuing a NOOP command or restarting an ongoing IDLE command, but
only does so X minutes after the most recent command issued.

So you won't see "Pinging blah server" operations interfering with
reading messages or whatever else you're doing anymore.

That's good, but will it fix the occasional hangs that still crop up
when Evo appears to wait indefinitely for a server response? This has
been a problem for as long as I care to remember and is now a lot less
frequent than it used to be, but AFAIK it hasn't entirely gone away.

poc