Re: [Evolution] Deleted messages not really deleted

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 16:08 -0600, Chris wrote:
Now to make sense of my subject. If I deleted the messages in my 'Spam'
folder they are moved to 'Trash' however, they are still in
~/Maildir/.Spam/cur. I've noticed this when I moved some false positives
from the spam folder to my Inbox and ran Spamassassin to report those
left in the folder. It picked up the ones I'd moved also. The same thing
happens if I delete some old spam from the folder before running SA.
This is Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Gnome 3.12.2 and Evolution 3.12.9.

Any ideas?

The Evo spam folder is called Junk. Are we talking about the same thing?
Junk is a virtual folder.

Trash in Evolution is also a virtual folder. "Moving" a message to Trash
(or equivalently deleting it) simply marks it for deletion, meaning it
shows up in the virtual Trash folder. However it hasn't physically gone
anywhere. This is the way IMAP is designed to work, though some other
MUAs don't seem to realize this. It means that undeleting can be done by
simply flipping the "deleted" bit. To really remove deleted messages you
can either empty the Trash folder (File->Empty Trash) which will remove
all messages marked for deletion in any folder, or more selectively use
Folder->Expunge (or Ctrl-E) which only affects messages in the current
folder.

Try setting View->Show Deleted Messages to get a better idea of what's
really going on.

poc