[Evolution] Can Evolution use a Maildir formatted inbox?

Hi there,

Using Evolution 3.4.4 on Debian I've tried but failed to get Evolution
to use a Maildir-formatted inbox.

I set up the incoming mail spool as a user-owned directory such as
/var/spool/mail/ged which contains the three subdirectories new, cur
and tmp, and incoming messages are delivered to the spool by procmail
as MDA for sendmail.  The user's .procmailrc points procmail to the
appropriate spool.

But when I attempt to read the mail, Evolution either insists that
there are no messages in the inbox (when there demonstrably are), or
that it isn't a valid inbox (if I move the inbox somewhere else, or
change its structure as far as I can tell in any way at all).

Evolution reads mbox-formatted inboxes without problems of course.

I've spent half a day with the search engines to no avail.

What am I missing?

--

73,
Ged.