Re: [Evolution] missing messages [solved]

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 14:29 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 11:20 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2014-04-12 at 20:27 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
Is using IMAP+ advisable in 3.4.4?  I have some large folders, and the
amount of time spent redownloading the message summaries (I
suppose--it's downloading something) at each poll, and hanging up the
rest of the application, was quite a drag.
I've been using IMAP+ with no issues since Evo supported it (I don't
even remember which version that was), so it shouldn't be a problem,
always assuming the server implements it correctly of course.

Ditto.  I've been using IMAP+ exclusively since Evolution added support
for it.  I have never had any related issues or lost any message; and I
use Evolution all day every day.

As Patrick says, if your IMAP server is working properly, there should
not be any need for Evo to download all the message summaries every time
it connects, unless somehow your local cache is getting deleted.  IMAP
assigns a monotonically increasing message ID to each email as it's
received and clients have the ability (at least this is how I understand
it: note I've never actually implemented an IMAP server or client
myself) to request information on messages with ID's above XYZ.

So the client is able to cache locally the information for older
messages and only need to retrieve information for newer messages.
Anyway that's how I understand it to work.

You don't say what ISP you're using.  I've had issues with accessing
GMail over IMAP, myself.  I don't know what their IMAP integration does
but Evo sometimes does not notice new mail for hours (if I go to gmail
via my browser it's always immediately visible there of course).  Other
times it works fine.  Also access seemed very slow: I modified my GMail
account to unsubscribe from the "All Mail" folder and that helped quite
a bit.