Re: [Evolution] attachment.dat: pptx showing as plain text attachment

On 11/21/2013 8:23 PM, Carpetnailz wrote:
On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 23:08 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 21 November 2013 13:22, Carpetnailz
<carpetnailz researchintegration org> wrote:
         Thanks.
         This line is in my /etc/mime.types file:
         application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation pptx
Is that what's needed? If so the problem is something else. It
         doesn't
         seem to be that Evolution does not know how to open it, It's
         rather that
         Evo is not seeing the attachment for what it is but rather at
         'attachment.dat'.

Type this at a Shell prompt:

xdg-mime query default
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation

(all one line of course)

The reply from xdg-mime tells what app is handling that MIME type in
your environment. In my case it gives "ark", which doesn't seem right
(I use KDE).

You can also use xdg-mime to set the app you want. Probably requires
logging out and in again so your desktop will pick it up.
Thanks. Trying that gives:

[eric ericscomputer ~]$ sudo xdg-mime query default
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
[sudo] password for eric:
libreoffice-impress.desktop libreoffice-impress.desktop

It looks to me like that part is right. I'm still wondering why, if it's
a MIME handling problem, Evolution isn't saying "I've got this .pptx
file but I don't know what to do with it" rather than "I've got this
attachment.dat file that I don't know what to do with but think is a
plain text file."

EB