[Evolution] evolution inbox search failed, restarting app always returns to same failure state with flashing display

I ran a search which caused the app to start flashing the entire display window, and it never finishes. Flashing goes to full black screen and then back endlessly. GUI does not respond. I killed the app and restarted, but it always returns to the same flashing state each time. I let it run for an hour, imagining it might finish the task. No help.
I reinstalled evolution, but no help.

Where or how do I modify the init params to get it to load without returning to this failed state without losing my mail?

Using evolution 3.2.3-0ubuntu6 w Ubuntu 12.04, GNOME 3.4.2 and Kernel 3.2.0-55-generic-pae

Thanks
Ralph