Re: [Evolution] From POP3 to IMAP

Either I've misunderstood what you are trying to do or you are not aware
what POP and IMAP do.

First of all, I did misunderstand my customer. The mail is stored in the
mbox format and not in maildir.

If you are using POP to currently access your mail, then your mail is on
a remote server (otherwise, why would you use POP) - in Evolution POP as
a protocol downloads all your mail from the server and places it under
"On This Computer".

It stores it in the homedir of the user.

So you aren't using POP to access the mail?

Maybe you don't know what a thin-client server is.

Err, maybe I do.

If you do indeed have access to the mail server and you are talking
about installing a different IMAP server on there, then it will know
nothing about the status of the mail on your client.  However, once you
setup the connection to the IMAP server in Evolution, you will be able
to copy the mail from your local mailstore to the IMAP account within
Evolution and all your mail flags will be preserved.

Doing this from Evolution is a lot of work. It are 100+ accounts.

Ok, but you asked about retaining the status of the mail - the only way of preserving all metadata is by
doing the transfer within evolution. Some data is, I seem to remember, stored within the mbox file, but not
everything.

If I were doing it, then I would probably start with a blank imap server and keep all the old mail where it
is.  You then give instructions to the users on how to transfer mail using evolution.  This has the double
benefit of not only reducing your workload but will allow the users to reduce the volume of mail on the
server as they sort out the mail when they move it.

P.