Re: [Evolution] Some emails do not appear in my inbox - why?

Oh Dear - for a silly moment there I thought I knew what I was doing. I
found and followed the (incomplete) instructions given by VirginMedia
for setting up an IMAP account and was foolish enough to think it would
work.

Of course it didn't - and what an unholy mess I am left with - 984 new,
but old messages in my inbox, downloaded from the vm server,
overwriting some which I had left in my Evolution inbox and requiring me
to go through all my folders to see which of these mails I already have
and which I can delete. That's not a 10 minute job. Evolution broke - it
could not be stopped, other then physically powering off my PC (not even
Ubuntu System Monitor could close it).

I have now recovered to the point of restoring my POP account to work (I
hope), but now no new email from any source is received into my
Evolution client.

From this I conclude that Evolution is unable to work with IMAP accounts
as set up by VirginMedia, which leaves me with the task of migrating
back to Thunderbird. I don't look forward to that because the conversion
from Thunderbird to Evolution 2 years ago took almost 4 days to get a
working system and repair all the corruptions introduced by the process
of converting between the 2 different mail box types.

Maybe a better solution is  to not attempt to synchronise between my
smart-phone and my VM accounts. Which is a crazy situation to be in, in
this day and age. Clearly this process was never adequately tested or
documented.