Re: [Evolution] Evolution activity stalls - screen goes dark

On Sun, 2013-01-13 at 19:08 -0800, reid wrote:
When running Evolution 3.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.10 I execute some basic activity,
such as deleting several hundred messages, or moving large number messages
from one folder to another, and in the process the HD become incredibly busy
(HD light stays on constantly) and the screen goes dim (dark back & white).
I've run the system monitor and CPE and memory are barely active at that
time but the system is locked up tight until this activity finishes.  Is
this normal?  Could it be caused by the fact that the message folders were
imported into Evolution as Mbox format, and that the deletion and/or
movement of messages from Mbox folders creates this situation of too disk
intensive disk activity?  Is there anything I can do to correct this?

        Hi,
it depends on the folder size. Any delete of an mbox folder message
means a complete rewrite of the file (mbox stores whole folder in one
single file), thus you need twice free space than the file itself is,
because the file is copied into a temporary file first (with removed
deleted messages) and then the original file is replaced with the cut
one. Using Maildir format, which is the default format for On This
Computer folders in your 3.6.x, deletes only respective messages
(Maildir stores each message in a separate file).
        Bye,
        Milan