Re: [Evolution] Evolution vs. KDE (It's a stand off -- KDE now leads)

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 10:28 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 23:46 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
After running Evolution under Gnome, then logging out and logging in
under KDE, Evolution sends fine.  No box requesting a password after
clicking "Send" message sent OK.  However after a restart, it's not
possible for Evolution to send while running under KDE till it sends a
message running under Gnome.  Kernel problem?  BTW: While Evolution is
hanging while attempting to send, the yellow sending box shows at the
top of the message.

      Hi,
evolution uses gnome-keyring for password, I guess it didn't start for
your KDE session, but GNOME made it running in the background. I've this
one running in my GNOME session:
   /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
Try to add it to your KDE session as well.

With respect of freeze, I cannot tell, but it seems you are not the only
one seeing it.

Yes.  This looks like it.

Before running a gnome session, running under KDE; messages can't be sent:
        $ pgrep keyring | xargs ps
          PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
         3458 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

After running a gnome session, but before starting evolution under KDE.
$ pgrep keyring | xargs ps
          PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
         3458 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
        13975 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login

After running a gnome session, after starting evolution under KDE;
messages can't be sent:
$ pgrep keyring | xargs ps
          PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
         3458 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
        16157 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

After running another gnome session, after starting evolution under KDE;
messages can be sent.
        $ pgrep keyring | xargs ps
          PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
         3458 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
        16157 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
        17206 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
        19391 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

The system seems so be accumulating instances of the
gnome-keyring-daemon; it's only possible to send mail when we see the
"--login" argument.  I plan to investigate further, probably tonight but
right now I have to attend to some U.S. tax stuff, etc.

What a bother!  Is there anything special in your autostart folder, or
does "/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login" just start, as
it ought to?

Thanks - jon