Re: [Evolution] A ppa for Evolution?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:46:48 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Ppas are unofficial repos developed by 3rd parties that the Ubuntu
Community and Canonical have little or no control over. So it's kinda
fairly unusual type of repo but definitely a sub-set of what people
typicallymean when they say repo. Except that the name "repo" tends to
imply some sort of Quality Assurance.

PPa is more like the mad Windows way of just letting people download and
install any piece of crap from any dodgy website anywhere and then
wondering why malware is such a prolific problem. Of course it's fairly
possible in Gnu&Linux too except that you have to be a bit more advanced
than a simple point&click user so Ppas just lower the bar.

In most distros people would just join the team of packagers and help
with packing their stuff properly for everyone to use.

It's not really Ubuntu's fault that Gnome craziness that has sent
several forks of Gnome spinning off, such as Mate or Cinamon. Those
forks are now being used in several different distros sometimes as an
alternative to the weird new Gnome. If only Gnome had been able to
consider

1. Keeping roughly the same look&feel 2. Started thinking about
incorporating touch and gesture then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

Both things are a pain but only 1 of them is Ubuntu's fault.

Regards from

Tom :)

Sigh.  If you want to talk bad about Ubuntu, I'm right there.  The Unity
desktop is, to me, an awful change in the way Ubuntu does their
business.  I gave up on Ubuntu's distros after 10.04.  But I use distros
that use Ubuntu 12.04 as their base, and thus have the software
repository available to make installation/updates simple.

I may be in the minority here, but I think asking users to build
Evolution every time there's a new version can be a bit daunting for new
and inexperienced users.