Re: [Evolution] A ppa for Evolution?

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 10:54 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 18:09 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
Anyone have any idea if there will ever be a ppa available for Evolution
so that updates to the latest versions will be smooth, as it is with
other apps?  Last I checked, there was no ppa for Evolution.  Maybe it's
changed.
ppa?  What's that?
Quick google ... Professional Publishers Association ... no;
Performance Preparation Academy ... don't think so; Power Purchase
Agreement ... possible; Personal Package Archive ... ah, yes, probably.
OK.  It's an Ubuntu specific thing.

Yes, it is what EVERYONE ELSE ON THE @*&$&* *& PLANET refers to as a
"repository".  But Ubuntu has to spin *everything*...

In that case, I think the best
thing is to ask on the Ubuntu mailing lists, not here.  Remember though
that Evolution is a Gnome application - it's releases match the Gnome
releases and are often dependent on specific versions of Gnome libraries
- i.e. you would have a hard job compiling & running Evo 3.6 on a Gnome
2 system.
Certainly though, I wouldn't want the Evo developers to get side tracked
into packaging Evolution for specific distros. I mean where does it
stop?

Certainly someone is packaging the current GNOME for Ubuntu?  Or created
one of the myriad Ubuntu spin-off/derivative distibutions.

The SuSe/Novell/openSUSE [whatver it is now] build service supports DEB
packaging (Debian/Ubuntu/myriad...).  And there are people packaging
GNOME / Evolution there.  Perhaps one of those repositories [using the
normal name] has Evolution in DEB packages?   Or you could find someone
building for other distributions and see if they will enable Ubuntu in
there repository.  With OBS it is possible to customize a package
definition for different targeted distributions - it is actually quite
slick.

<https://build.opensuse.org/>

[NO, it is *NOT* an openSUSE specific thing.  It packages for a wide
range of distributions.  That is just the name.]

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383