Re: [Evolution] A ppa for Evolution?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:54:10 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 18:09 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
Anyone have any idea if there will ever be a ppa available for
Evolution so that updates to the latest versions will be smooth, as it
is with other apps?  Last I checked, there was no ppa for Evolution.
Maybe it's changed.

ppa?  What's that?

Quick google ... Professional Publishers Association ... no; Performance
Preparation Academy ... don't think so; Power Purchase Agreement ...
possible; Personal Package Archive ... ah, yes, probably.

OK.  It's an Ubuntu specific thing.  In that case, I think the best
thing is to ask on the Ubuntu mailing lists, not here.  Remember though
that Evolution is a Gnome application - it's releases match the Gnome
releases and are often dependent on specific versions of Gnome libraries
- i.e. you would have a hard job compiling & running Evo 3.6 on a Gnome
2 system.

Certainly though, I wouldn't want the Evo developers to get side tracked
into packaging Evolution for specific distros. I mean where does it
stop?  If you do a PPA for Ubuntu, should you then do a Yum archive for
Fedora (probably not necessary because Fedora keeps up to date!), or a
Yum archive for RHEL/CentOS/SL - don't forget both RHEL5 & 6.  What
about an Apt repository for Debian?

P.

They all sound good to me! <grin>

Since the software repository found in Ubuntu and its derivatives, like
Mint, are nearly ubiquitous in the Linux world, many producers of
software find it to be a good idea to keep the latest versions in the
repositories.  LibreOffice, etc., all have found a way to do this.

I would think that the Evolution people would find this to be a desirable
thing to do, in order to ensure that folks have the latest version of the
software.