Re: [Evolution] Image loading threads don't cancel

Hi,

I ask because I (like quite a few
others, I would imagine) are using the version that comes with our
distribution (Ubuntu 12.04 in my case)
I'm going to see what it will take to upgrade to 3.6 on my computer
right now.

Apparently "what it would take" to get Evo 3.6 in Ubuntu is upgrading to
the very recent "Quantal" (that's 12.10 if you prefer meaningful
numbers) release : http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=evolution

Whether & when you should do so is up to you. I usually wait for 2
months after release, because I'm an optimist (otherwise I'd never
upgrade) and a realist (new Ubuntu versions _always_ have bugs - e.g.
the upgrade to 12.04, for my non-Unity gnome-classic desktop, broke
alt-tab, broke printing, broke my monitor orientation, broke workplace
switching, and hid the volume applet - all of which were fixable, but
the time & effort required to do so was a PITA). But I've never had an
Evolution-related problem from upgrading.

So whilst faster loading of remote images from Evo 3.6 would be very
welcome, you need to weigh up whether the know gain of that exceeds the
unknown pain of fixing the non-Evo related breakage you may encounter.

I recently upgraded to the new version of Ubuntu and therefore I have
evolution 3.6. In my opinion it is worth doing it as long as you do
not need to connect to an exchange server. Lots of problems that I had
in 3.2.x are now gone. Sadly, I have problems sending emails via our
exchange server, but this is not due to evolution as mentioned in an
email earlier this week.

Of course you need to check what other applications you use on regular
basis and whether there is a chance to break them. In my case, I did
not see major problems.

Regards,

Constantin