Re: [Evolution] bug re Message menu item

I presumed that re-installing would also re-do any relevant config
files. Apparently that is not the case.

Nope, never, it does not work that way.

Application installation / de-installation is a *system* operation.

Application configuration is a *user* operation.

The package neither knows nor cares anything at all about any user's
configuration.  This is a feature, not a bug.  It is a glorious
wonderful and please-gods-why-cannot-windows-work-this-way feature.

This is different than installation / deinstallation of a *service* like
Apache, Postfix, etc... where the configuration is a system thing [there
is one configuration - used by the service - to provide services to the
system].  Although even in that case RPM installation / deinstallation
will usually refuse to remove or overwrite configuration files.  Again,
feature, not a bug.

Did you try  sending to trash the evolution folder?  Do that, close
your session and open it again.  See if problem is still here.
I don't see an evolution folder, except for .local/share/evolution,
which contains all my data. I should trash that?

NO!

Did you try with a brand-new user, totally empty of configuration?

Tried this, got the same result: single-clicking on the "Message" menu
item just opens a new email message rather than opening the sub-menu.

Hope this helps...

Yep, that is always a good test.  Keep a dummy user account around for
such purposes.