Re: [Evolution] Some questions as a new Evolution user

I had some questions with regards to Evolution and was hoping people
on here could answer them, so:

First, please tell people what version of Evolution you are using - the
answers to some of your questions are different for different versions.
The answers below are for Evo 3.2.3, which happens to be the version I'm
sitting in front of.

1. Is it possible to hide various of the "Local X" folders for the
calendar, and alike. I usually only work with 1 calendar so the other
ones aren't exactly interesting.

No, but you can collapsed the tree so it just takes up one line, and you
can untick calendars in the tree so they're not shown

2. Is it possible to change the root folder of a mailbox, I am using
an exchange mailbox and it has this annoying "Personal Folders" root
folder which just makes it take up more horizontal whitespace

What sort of Exchange connection are you using? - there are three
different versions, two of which ("evolution-exchange" &
"evolution-mapi") are now deprecated.  Or are you connecting using IMAP?

Also what version of Exchange are you connecting to?

My connection to an Exchange 2010 server using EWS does not show any
"Personal Folders" - it may be to do with the specific setup of the
server.

3. It there a way to make sent/concepts/etc mails be stored in an IMAP
mailbox folder rather than locally as I work on multiple systems and
having that centrally stored is a plus

Edit -> Preferences -> (select mail account) -> Edit -> Defaults

There should be two lines for Drafts and Sent - click on the location
and change it to where ever you want things to go.

and lastly 4. I tried using the IMAP+ server type with my Dovecot
server, considering Dovecot should support things such as IDLE,
however it does not seem to and Evolution simply does not connect. Is
it simply Dovecot not supporting the IMAP+/IMAPX protocol or do I have
something misconfigured on the server side (I do have the errors from
the log but that's more something for a dovecot mailing list).

I have Evo connected to Dovecot servers using both IMAP and IMAP+
without any problems. If you are seeing errors in the Dovecot logs, then
Evo obviously does connect!  There was nothing difficult or strange
about connecting to Dovecot - the standard IMAP or IMAP+ configuration
worked fine.

If you need more information than just the server logs, you can turn on
Evo's debugging output - information on that is at

   http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/bugs.shtml

(I think that's the current version ...)

You are welcome to post (sanitised/edited) logs here if you want more
help - if it is a Dovecot issue, then we won't be shy to tell you so :-)

P.