Re: [Evolution] Evolution 3.2.3 (Precise) problems

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 12:19 -0700, Gregoire Gentil wrote:
I'm a long time user of Evolution through Ubuntu and I'm experiencing a
lot of problems in the "latest" version from Ubuntu Precise.

I have no idea what "Ubuntu Precise" is.

I was on Maverick

I have no idea what "Maverick" is.

and I have done a major CLEAN (=erase everything
except data) upgrade

This is a re-install but keeping the /home file system. (?)

of my PC to Precise. I'm currently running
"evolution 3.2.3-0ubuntu6" as shown in the attached dpkg-list.
Here are my problems:
- secondly, in a very very old version of Evolution (much older than
Maverick time), there was an option to choose between mdir and mbox
format. That was a good idea. I'm not saying that moving to mdir is
fundamentally a bad idea but it might have been interesting to continue
to support mbox.

This still exists.  When you add a local account you can choose the
mailbox format / structure.

I have MH, Maildir, MBOX file, and MBOX folder.

- thirdly, there are a few new things that are painful - at least for
me. For instance, the "sending" features when the email window stays
while it's sending is rather painful. It was better before when the
email was going immediately to outbox and was sending asynchronously.

You get a "Cancel" button during the timeout, I think this is a big
improvement.    But I can see and argument for this to be optional.  I
search through the settings and I don't see anything related.  Perhaps
there is a setting in dconf?

I'll have to install dconf-editor...

- fourthly, when I do reply to an email but save the reply to draft and
send it later, the icon "reply" on the original email is not updated. It
was the case before. It's reproducible all the time.

This sounds like a classic bug;  that should be reported.

- fifthly, MANY times, I receive "big yellow" error messages "cannot
transfer message to destination folder: No such file or directory" while
moving 5 or 10 emails from inbox to my big Archive folder. Trying to
move those emails in the same session one by one is working...

What is "my big Archive folder".  Is that local, IMAP, etc...?  Is it
actually the message count or the size of the messages [do attachments
matter?]?   I move multiple messages all the time and have never seen
that message.

Run CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution on the command line [I think this
still works].  Then when you see the error message look at what CAMEL is
spewing the standard-out; that may indicate the source of the problem.

- sixthly, most important, the preview window doesn't work well at all.
MANY MANY TIMES, it gets stuck as shown in the attached screenshot. I
was scrolling in the preview window. If I launch evolution from a
terminal even with CAMEL debug info, there is nothing particular.

When opening a message I've had the message window sit there "retrieving
message...." for a long time, close the window, and then opening the
message again.  That happens once it awhile.  I don't recall seeing the
preview message pane get stuck.   I don't believe that would be a CAMEL
issue but possibly a UI / Gtk issue [it is possibly still trying to
display the message it is 'stuck' on?].   Does this generally only
happen with HTML messages or messages with attachments?

- I see on the IRC that the latest stable is 3.4.2 but Ubuntu has only
3.2.3. Would updating fix some of those problems?

No clue.  I'm on 3.2.3 w/ openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 and it is stable for me.

Thanks in advance for any answer or any hint,