Re: [Evolution] how do I set up evolution to work in ubuntu?

Port number goes in apart box.  And it wouldn't be "pop.mail.yahoo.com"?  Did you configure authentication items like passwords and session security?
Are you sure that your configuration works?  Maybe you aren't setting up well your account.  May be Yahoo is having some kind of trouble.

Kindly
Sylvia